Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Altitude Sickness and a Hike

Yep - I got it!! I had a headache, a bloody nose, fatigue (duh - a hike will do that to you), loss of appetite & some minor swelling. I put our hike into sparkpeople and it said I burned 3045 calories. Yeah - that's not a typo - it was over 3,000 calories burned!! WAHOOOO - Ummm, hello - then why didn't I lose any weight... that was until today. I think the swelling and all my symptoms finally left. I dropped 2lbs!!
The headache stayed with me the rest of camping and for a couple days afterwards. In fact it was finally gone today. I took it easy and didn't workout yesterday morning, rather had a leisure day and just hung out with Glenn, went to the pool and grocery shopped.
So while camping, we decided to go on a hike with everyone. According to an app on my phone, Brainard Lake is at 10,300' in elevation and we hiked to Blue Lake which is 11,500' in elevation. So 3 miles uphill and a 1,200' gain.
Here are some photos of our hike:
The trail
Us at Mitchell Lake - 1 mile into the hike
The kids at Mitchell Lake
Glenn & I
Cool lakes - awesome sceneryThe trail - wait - you dont see it?? Oh - look hard - see those rocks?? Yeah - that's the trail. My inner thighs and hips hurt so bad from side stepping those boogers.
The BEST part of the trail!!
Blue Lake - we made it!! Well - I should say 'I' made it!! :) Glenn told me the hike was easy - I then told him to add 80 extra pounds to his frame and then see what he says!! :))

Waterfall at Blue Lake

We watched a skier skiing at Blue Lake.

2 comments:

Patti Miller said...

Wow! That's alot of calories burnt. That is the best kind of exercise right! Just spending time with the family doing an activity that everyone enjoys:) Great job.

Lisa said...

So awesome! You look so cute too! Way to go friend...you make me proud! : )